Oct 23, 2021 9:50 PM
This is a recipe for instant pot. Similar for pressure cooker too, but once rice is added, you need to put the lid and get 3-4 whistles
- Pre soak rice in water.
- Put the Instant pot in sauté mode. Add some oil. Wait for the oil to heat up. Add ghee if you are feeling dirty.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, pepper and star anise.
- Add sliced onions. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomato. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables like green peas, carrots, potato and others if you have. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Add red chilli powder. If you have Biryani powder, add that too. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pre-soaked rice. Add two parts water for one part rice.
- Mix everything. Put the Instant pot in the rice mode. This is usually for 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking is done, wait for 6 to 7 minutes for natural pressure release.
No need to measure water, just enough to submerge the rice. I observed soaking makes a difference in the final product.
crush the pepper and cloves for better aroma.
Brown them. Get those maillard reactions going.
When in doubt, lean on putting lesser salt, you can always fix it later.
Make sure you mix. Having lumps of veggies and rice makes it hard to portion.